All Things Fun! Online Forums
November 24, 2017, 10:08:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow All Things Fun! on Twitter & Facebook!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wishing to return to MTG  (Read 2060 times)
nododgy
Slacker

View Profile Email
« on: January 15, 2009, 07:48:34 PM »

Hey all.

I quit a while ago(Kamigawa was the last set I kept up with), and sold off my collection. I've slightly regretted it since, and was wondering what the current play environment of MTG is like. I read Tri-Color decks seem to be viable now, but thats about all I know. Also, when will the current block be rotating out. My interest lies solely in Type 2 Constructed, so if the current sets will soon be rotation, then I suppose I'll wait until the new sets start coming out.

Any and all information will be helpful and much appreciated.
Slivortal
Lurker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 11:34:48 PM »

Well, long story short, Wizards made a mistake by making a number of incredible Faerie cards, including Bitterblossom (now known as Bitterawesome), Mistbind Clique, Thoughtseize, Cryptic Command, and a few others that led to a dominance of UB Faerie Midrange until recently.
Then, Wizards made another mistake, accidentally printing Reflecting Pool in a format full of Vivids and Filter Lands, leading to the rise of 5 Color Control, named Quick and Toast after a European fast food chain by its creators.  It focuses on control, and offers the best of each color in one package.

After those decks though, the format's very open, and even the decks to beat aren't too dominating since Time Spiral rotated out.  Tricolor decks, if done well, are still feasible, and are seen as an option for budget players, like me.  Ramp and R/W Aggro are the other really good decks though.

Of course, this is the current metagame for the world; I've never been to this shop in particular.
nododgy
Slacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 12:58:23 AM »

Thanks. Yea, I generally tend to see the metagame on a larger scale, as I like to compete in PTQs and things like that. When I left, I had mostly played R/G Decks, B/x Cranial Extraction decks, and things like that. I never really ventured into more than 2 color territory. Control decks tended to be the bane of my existence and I almost always played aggressive decks.

I suppose I'll have to look deeper to see if I'll make my return.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: