All Things Fun! Online Forums
November 24, 2017, 10:07:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow All Things Fun! on Twitter & Facebook!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about tournaments.  (Read 2339 times)
Tyro
Lurker

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2009, 03:29:13 PM »

So I am i new magic player and have been going to ATF! for the past couple of weeks for some FNM, and also to the Game Day on 8/15.  my question is what does it mean when an event is "8k" "16k" "24k" and so on.  i tried looking on the WOTC site but couldnt really find anything.  so i figured i'd try here.

thanks guys for any feedback.
TheCheese

WE DO NOT SOW!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 09:57:16 PM »

So I am i new magic player and have been going to ATF! for the past couple of weeks for some FNM, and also to the Game Day on 8/15.  my question is what does it mean when an event is "8k" "16k" "24k" and so on.  i tried looking on the WOTC site but couldnt really find anything.  so i figured i'd try here.

thanks guys for any feedback.

Welcome. Im glad your having fun. 8K, 16k, 24k, 32k are all rating indicators for tournaments. the lower the level the tourney the lower the k value...

example:

FNM is 8k....So the most you can win or lose in a single match is 8 rating points.

Some of the larger tourneys (grand prix, ptq's, grand prix qe's, etc etc) are higher rated....A PTQ I believe is 32 K...So you can win as much as or lose as much as 32 rating points per match.

if two people of equal rating face off you usually only win the median of the k value (4 points if its 8k)....The higher rated player will win less rating points when they beat much lower rated players. And vice versa.

Hope that was a help

steve colby
Tyro
Lurker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 01:57:20 PM »

awesome. ty that makes so much sense.   Cheesy  too bad im goin back to college and im gonna be broke and no wheres near ATF! for the next what will seem like forever.  enjoy zendikar guys. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: